Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Try It Out Tuesday - Fall Wreath

Fall - It's the most wonderful time of the year.  You may associate that phrase with Christmas,  but every year when fall rolls around, I can't help but think that it's not Christmas, but the entire Fall season that is the most wonderful time of they year.  I've always been torn between which season I like the most.  I even found a diary I kept when I was around 12 and one of my entries was all about the seasons and how I just couldn't pick just one to be my favorite. I even tried to select my favorite by doing a pro/con list.  The pros went something like this; Spring -  it's the season of my birthday and warmer weather; Summer -  we get to go to the beach and no school! Winter - Christmas (nuff said) and then under Fall next to Halloween, was a legitimate reason to love the season -  "it gives me a warm feeling inside".  Cheeso I know, but isn't it true? Doesn't the idea of curling up inside watching  the leaves drift silently to the ground covering it with a blanket made of gold and red, while sipping a warm cider or cocoa drink just give you a cozy feeling all over?  Now that I'm older I do still believe all the seasons have their pros and cons, but I think Fall has more pros than any other season. So after all of these years I think I can safely say that Fall is my favorite season (well at least until Summer roles back around :) ).  As a tribute to my favorite season I am going to dedicate the next couple of posts to this deserving time of the year. 

I love to transition my home from summer to fall by making just a few minor changes in the decor.  The one thing I have been missing though is a nice fall wreath.  I just could never find one that I thought was worth the $$$ price tag.  I was feeling crafty this weekend and decided to take matters into my own hands.  Pulling inspiration from the below image I saw on Pinterest I headed off to Michaels to snatch up some hydrangea flowers. 


http://missloviecreations.blogspot.com/2011/04/hydrangea-wreath.html


After spending a good hour in the store selecting the right color combination, I loaded up my cart with my 40% off flowers and checked out with my 15% off total purchase coupon.  $24 total for 8 blooms! Then I headed over to Wal-Mart for the wood twine wreath that broke my bank at $3.50.  One last stop at the Dollar tree for a $1 wire cutter and I was all set.  If you click on the link above you will notice that she doesn't give any instructions and there is a reason for that.  It's so easy even I figured it out :)  All you need to do is cut the stems of the flowers down short enough that you can stick them into the wreath.  The different branches of the wreath are tight enough that the flowers just stay.  I have a screen door so my wreath will not have to deal with the weather, but if you do not have a screen door you may want to consider using a hot glue gun to secure the flowers a little better.

Here is my final product (my screen door has already smooshed it a bit). 

I ended up only using 6 of the blooms I bought so I popped the other two into a bark vase I have in front of my fireplace to add a little Fall to the living room.

Total cost of the project minus the two extra blooms was right around $20 and that included the wire cutter!

Final verdict - super easy and well worth the time and money.  I hope you try your own!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover